Oracle JDeveloper 11g and Oracle Application Development Framework (ADF) 11g are components of Oracle Fusion Middleware. Oracle ADF is a Java framework for creating enterprise applications. It provides a visual and declarative approach to Java EE development. It supports rapid application development based on ready to use design patterns and visual tools and is metadata-driven.
The 11g version of ADF was several years in the making and includes over 200 new features. It integrates WebLogic Server 10.3 and offers some key features in support for Java EE 5.0 and RIA development with JSF - including an extension to the JSF controller for better reusability and a new set of ADF Faces Rich Client Components.
Keys highlights of ADF 11g include:
• ADF Faces Rich Client – the most comprehensive set of Ajax enabled JSF components and introducing the ADF
• Data Visualization Components
• JDK 6 and Java EE 5.0 support
• Integrated WebLogic 10.3 server for debugging and testing
• Extended database development and modeling features
• ADF Task Flows – extension to the JSF controller that adds reusable task flows, declarative bookmark and back button support, additional memory scopes and more.
• JSF templating
• JSF page fragments, JSF regions and Declarative JSF components.
• Updated code editor (quick picks, easier navigation, and more)
• New Java memory and CPU Profilers
• Enhanced EclipseLink/TopLink integration
• Updated support for JUnit, Subversion, Ant, Facelets
• Many other enhancements to the ADF Framework in the areas of data binding to UI, refactoring, debugging and ADF business components.
Oracle ADF simplifies developing enterprise solutions that search, display, create, modify, and validate data using web, wireless, desktop, or web services interfaces. Together, Oracle JDeveloper 11g and Oracle ADF provide an environment that encompasses the full software development lifecycle from design to deployment, with built-in drag-and-drop data binding, visual UI design, and team development features. It enables developers to focus on the application, not the low-level infrastructure. JDeveloper with ADF is Oracle’s strategic tool and framework for rich, enterprise applications.
At Innowave, we have built numerous solutions using ADF. I will discuss some of them in my next entry. More to come...